Quick Sourdough: Keep Your Friends Cake
German Friendship Cake - made with leftover sourdough starter and lots of chewy fruits and nuts.
- 1 cup ripe sourdough starter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup broken walnuts divided
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients except the brown sugar and ¼ cup walnuts. Stir to combine. The combination of baking soda and sourdough starter will cause the dough to bubble up.
Grease a 10-12 cup Bundt pan.Sprinkle the bottom with the brown sugar and ¼ cup walnuts.
Spoon the batter into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven. Cool on a rack for10 minutes; then turn out of the pan and cool completely before slicing.