Somewhere between Alfredo and mac/cheese, you won’t miss the pasta with this creamy zoodle concoction.
Well, 2018 has been another year of zucchini overload (aren’t they all!). We are now embarking on week 6 of zucchini almost every night, and the garden still has a couple of behemoths waiting to be picked.
Luckily, zucchini has recently had its day in the spotlight. All of a sudden, zucchini is popular everywhere as a pasta stand-in. Since I love pasta – but it doesn’t love me – and I have a plethora of zucchini, it’s been a year of zoodles, including this cheesy version that will have you (almost) forgetting about macaroni and cheese.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken or vegetarian chicken
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-6 drops hot sauce (optional)
- Additional Parmesan to taste
- Wash and trim zucchini. Spiralize zucchini and set aside.
- Cook broccoli until crisp tender and bright green. Set aside.
- In a large skillet (I like to use a 14-inch skillet), heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken until warmed through. Remove from skillet.
- Add more oil if necessary. Add zucchini spirals and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add whipping cream and grated cheese. Toss to coat zucchini. Add hot sauce if using. Add broccoli and chicken and serve immediately.
- Top with additional Parmesan if desired.
Why Use Zoodles?
Zoodles are a healthy and satisfying substitute for pasta. Why would you possibly want to substitute for pasta? If you are gluten-free, zoodles are a good choice. Or if you are trying to eat low-carb, zoodles are a good choice. Or if you are trying to eat fewer calories, zoodles are a good choice. Or even if you are just trying to get more vegetables into your diet, zoodles are a good choice.
What’s with the Hot Sauce?
Add a few drops of hot sauce to any cheese dish to increase the cheesy flavor. Just a few drops won’t make the dish spicy hot, but will trick your tongue into thinking that there is more cheese than there is!
Can I Reheat Zoodles?
It’s possible to reheat zoodles, but I usually recommend against it. Zoodles are easily overcooked, resulting in mush. If for some reason you have leftovers – eat them at room temperature. They make a great cold dish too!
Need to try this out.