Combine green and yellow string beans, kidney beans, and garbanzo beans with a tangy dressing for a quick summertime salad.
In honor of National Picnic Month (July), I am sharing one of my favorite picnic foods – 4 Bean Salad. Yes, you can purchase canned three bean salad at the grocery store deli or even in the canned foods section, but really – why would you? This homemade version is made with healthier oil, less sugar, more flavorful vinegar, and you get even more beans! And did I mention that it is a budget-friendly recipe? See my tips following the recipe.
4 Bean Salad
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 15 oz can green string beans
- 1 15 oz can yellow wax beans
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons red wine, balsamic, or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Drain and rinse all beans.
- Combine beans with green onions and bell pepper in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, and mustard. Pour over bean mixture.
- Toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
This salad is even better when you cook the kidney and garbanzo beans at home instead of using canned beans.
Try making the salad when fresh green and yellow beans are available too.
Olive oil becomes cloudy when refrigerated, so allow the salad to come to room temperature before serving.
This salad will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Great when served with other picnic salads or grilled veggies or burgers.