A tangy, plant-based meat dish loved by beef eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike.
Looking for a plant-based meat dish that is full of mouth-watering, belly-satisfying flavor? You have come to the right place! I have been recreating old family recipe favorites for years, using plant-based meats. Plant-based meats save you money, time, and are just as delicious as their meat counterparts.
When the kids were young, I served this dish over cooked spaghetti pasta. You could use rice or polenta too. These days though, in an effort to reduce my carb consumption, I usually just add extra cauliflower and broccoli. Any way you serve it, it’s a fantastic meal. Don’t be tempted to reduce the vinegar or pepper – they add the finishing touch.
You can use any plant-based beef product here. The other night I used these interesting tips by Gardein. Cut up veggie patties, vegetable roast, or even tofu or tempeh would work great too.
This recipe is from my cookbook, Homestyle Favorites Made Meatless, available at our Etsy store.
Spicy Stir-Fried Plant-Based Beef and Veggies
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and/or carrots
- 1 small onion cut into wedges
- 4 vegetarian beef patties
- 1/2 cup vegetable or vegetarian beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- dash ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese optional
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute vegetables about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut vegetarian patties into long strips. Add to skillet and gently cook on each side.
- Mix together broth, vinegar, oregano, black and red pepper. Pour into skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Mix cornstarch into 1/2 cup water. Stir into skillet. Continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Serve over cooked pasta, rice, or polenta and top with Parmesan cheese if desired.